I modified this recipe from this Pinch My Salt recipe, which is awesome but sadly sour cream is just not in the cards for me. I will also confess that my pictures aren’t nearly as pretty because my camera battery died and I had to do these with my phone. The muffins came out super-tasty and crumbly, so I am pleased to share the recipe with everyone. It still warrants some fidgeting, perhaps with chocolate chips, but that would certainly put them squarely into the “dessert” — not that I’m against that.
Greek yogurt, by the way, is a fantastic substitute for sour cream if you ever need one. It also has the benefit of coming in 2% and 0% fat options, or at least Chobani does. And while there isn’t any in this recipe, apple sauce is a long-standing substitute for butter in a lot of baking.
Whole Grain Green Apple & Yogurt Muffins:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup oat bran
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
8 oz 2% fat Greek yogurt (I like Chobani), at room temp.
1/3 cup grape seed oil (or canola)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds – your choice)
cinnamon and sugar mixture (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together Set 1 ingredients: flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together Set 2 ingredients: Greek yogurt, oil, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla.
4. Gradually add Set 2 (dry) into Set 1 (wet) and stir until combined. Fold in Set 3: apples and nuts (if using).
5. Divide batter between the twelve muffin cups. Sprinkle tops of muffins with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar if desired.
6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.